Yellowstone’s iconic landscape brought you here: geothermal features, waterfalls, bison, wolves, elk- the largest concentration of wildlife in the United States! Activities in and around West Yellowstone, Montana- Yellowstone Park’s most popular entrance- will keep you coming back.
Many frequent visitors will make West Yellowstone their basecamp, and divide their time between Yellowstone Park, and the many fun, family-friendly activities and adventures in and around West Yellowstone. Please call our courteous local lodging staff for more information, or follow the links below. Let us be your basecamp for fun!
Summer Activities in West Yellowstone
- Hiking Yellowstone: Love backpacking and hiking? Looking for majestic views? Yellowstone has over 1,100 miles of hiking and backpacking trails, and adjacent to West Yellowstone there are several hundred more hiking trails on gorgeous National Forest Service land. Learn more about hiking in Yellowstone here.Newcomers to hiking will find it beneficial to prepare before treading through Yellowstone National Park’s unique trails.
- Mountain Biking: Rather take to the trails on a mountain bike? Right out of your West Yellowstone motel room, you can access miles of single tracks and abandoned logging roads for days of “vista” riding. From mild to wild, it’s all right here. Learn more about the trails.
- Fishing Adventures: West Yellowstone is at the heart of hundreds of miles of blue ribbon trout water. We have been called “The fly fishing capitol of the world.” Don’t forget to pack your fishing rods and plan your fishing adventure with more information here.
- Horseback Riding: The West Yellowstone area has handfuls of horseback riding options available. You could take a guided horseback trip on scenic National Forest trails, or cross the continental divide and ride from Montana a short distance into Idaho’s wilderness. With several local ranches nearby, your choices for a West Yellowstone horseback riding adventure at virtually endless. Find out more about horseback riding in West Yellowstone here.
- Historic Center: The Yellowstone Historic Center, located in West Yellowstone, offers a look into the past of the historic downtown area and outlines the adventures of early Yellowstone travelers. Educational and family-friendly, the Yellowstone Historic Center opens for the season in May.
- Rodeo: Watch real cowboys ride beautiful horses at the West Yellowstone Rodeo and get a taste of the wild west. From bareback riding, to roping events, experience our local Wild West Yellowstone Rodeo, several nights per week.
West Yellowstone Winter Activities
- Snowmobiling in West Yellowstone: Snowmobile over 300 miles of groomed trails on National Forest Service land, or play in the deep and steep snow-covered mountains. There is lots of trailer parking, and vehicle plug ins at our City Center Motel. Learn more about snowmobiling in West Yellowstone here.
- Guided Snow Tours: Guided snow coach and snowmobile tours of Yellowstone are available December 15th through March 15th. Please call our City Center office for availability at: 1 (406) 646-7337.
- Nordic Skiing: The world-class Rendezvous trail system is professionally groomed and offers over 50 KM of the best classic or skate skiing in the western United States. Additionally, there are many more trails within a 30 minute drive of West Yellowstone offering groomed or skier-groomed trails. Learn more here.
- Snowshoe Walk: Experience winter in Yellowstone with a ranger-led 2 mile snowshoe walk in Yellowstone. Available from late December to early March, the best part about this educational and chilly experience is that it’s free! Learn more about the snow shoe discovery walks here.
Year-Round Activities in West Yellowstone
- IMAX: See special Yellowstone movies, as well as Hollywood productions on the six story tall, IMAX theatre in West Yellowstone.
- The Grizzly Wolf and Discovery Center: Watch grizzly bears and live wolf packs engaged in an array of activities in this spectacular natural habitat. The bears at the center do not hibernate so any day of the year is a good time to visit. In addition to the bears and wolves in their natural habitat, there’s also a museum and a seasonal exhibit on the Yellowstone birds of Prey. Learn more about the Grizzly and Wolf Discovery Center.
- Whitewater Rafting: Experience the beauty and thrills of the Gallatin and Yellowstone; two of the purest free-flowing rivers in country. Enjoy splashes and smiles on a half day, full day or overnight rafting trip, with various levels of excitement to suit your family. Learn more about trip options at Montana Whitewater.
- ZipLine Canopy Tours: Enjoy the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem from a unique perspective, soaring on a guided zip line tour! Glide through a historic mountain ranch in Gardiner or across the raging Gallatin River near Big Sky. Sky bridges and other adventure elements are sure to offer some additional thrills! Learn more about trip options with Yellowstone ZipLine Tours.
- Madison Avenue Old Time Photos: Madison Avenue Old Time Photos is located on Madison Avenue in West Yellowstone.Travel back in time with your family to capture great memories of the old west. We will create a memory of your family vacation that will last a lifetime. Brad and Kathy take time to create an epic pose and image that your family will treasure for a life time. We have different sets and many costumes to chose from. Come in today for a great time.